Thursday, October 20, 2005

This Week's Movie (Posters)

I’m going to take a quick detour from my horror movie list; don’t worry people (all three of you), it will be back next time.

I was looking at an e-mail showing the movies that are opening this weekend, and I was paying close attention to the movie posters, none of which I had seen before. Here are my two cents:

Doom – This one kind of grabbed me because it’s not your usual movie poster. Obviously they are giving tribute to their source material in a big way, which I don’t believe any of other video game movie has done before. You have the game’s original logo, and you also have the classic first-person shooter view.

Does it work as a poster? I’m not really sure…something seems a little off about it to me. Maybe the first person view just doesn't work as a static image. I think a large segment of the population won’t get it, but they are probably the ones who won’t see this movie. I’m really surprised they didn’t put The Rock’s picture on here since he’s the star of the movie. Everybody loves The Rock. I’d be shocked if they didn’t use a different illustration for the DVD.


Dreamer – A movie about a horse? With Dakota Fanning? I’m so there! Just kidding. What struck me about this poster is that I think I’ve seen this layout about a million times before. It’s the “big heads on top, smaller story-related depiction on the bottom”. I could be wrong about this, but I bet I could find a bunch of posters that look awfully similar.

Not that there’s anything wrong with it. As far as little girl-meets-horse movies go, I think its fine.


Stay – This one kind of comes close to the “big head on top”-type poster, but they managed to do something different with the diagonal framing of the actor’s faces. I actually like this poster; it’s got a nice color scheme and I like the font they used throughout. The poster is intriguing enough where it teases you enough so that you’re curious to find what it’s all about. I’ve seen the trailer for this movie, and I think it does a good job of portraying the schizophrenic theme of the movie. I don’t know if Stay is any good, but I would give the poster an “A”.


North Country – When I look at this poster, here’s what it says to me: “Hi, I’m Charlize Theron, Academy Award-winning actress. I didn’t really want to star in Aeon Flux, but my agent convinced me that it would establish my credibility as a well-rounded actor. Plus, it would give me a whole new fan base among the science fiction geek crowd. But didn’t I pay my dues already with Reindeer Games?”

“Now this is the kind of movie an A-list actress like me should be making. An underprivileged single mother who is forced to fight for what she believes in against overwhelming odds. Come see North Country and then watch me steamroll my way to another Oscar.”

I actually have nothing against Charlize Theron. She seems like a very nice person.

No comments: