Sunday, October 02, 2005

Phil Hale

Phil Hale is a relatively recent addition to my list of favorite artists. I haven’t seen a whole lot of his work, but the more I see, the more I like his unique style. I don’t know if he’s actually done any comics work, but his paintings have appeared on the covers of several comics titles in the past few years such as Swamp Thing, the limited horror series Flinch, and Legends of the DC Universe.

The figures in his oil paintings are always in motion, and seemingly made of rubber. The lighting in each piece is like a flashbulb, harshly illuminating every fold of clothing and every fiber of muscle. His work is visually hyperactive and intense; it makes my hair stand up on end.

I would love to have one of his paintings hanging on our wall. But that won’t happen, because it would probably scare away little kids.


If you want to see more, check out Goad: The Many Moods of Phil Hale. It’s a great collection of a lot his paintings, sketches, and photography work.


No comments: