Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ah, Love and Pride

During my drive back home today, I’m listening to the “flashback” hour on the radio, and they start playing “Love and Pride” by King, a minor hit from the eighties. Oh god, I haven’t heard this song since…well, the eighties.

Back in the day, I liked the song enough that I even bought the 45 (that's right kids, old-school vinyl). I’m pretty sure that the singer named King was a one-hit wonder, since I never heard anything else from him. His name was kind of interesting to me, because at the time that “Love and Pride” came out, Prince was huge with Purple Rain. I always thought he was trying to top Prince by being “King”, but ultimately I guess they were totally unrelated. Check out the mullet on this guy!

Even though I liked the song, the chorus perplexed me: “That’s what my heart yearns for now, love and pride”. Huh? How can someone yearn for pride? I know this is just a silly pop song about loving someone and being proud of them, but come on. That’s just awkward grammar.

No comments: