Thursday, October 13, 2005

Please Don't Step On Me

I’m on Sony’s mailing list, so from time to time they send me free previews of upcoming games. I received a demo disk for Shadow of the Colossus, so I sat down and gave it a try.

Wow.

First of all, the game looks really good. It takes place in vast stretches of wilderness where you have the ability to go almost anywhere. Most video games restrict you to certain areas, but this one takes place in wide open plains and canyons. If you’re afraid of being in open spaces, you better not play this game - it may freak you out.



Otherwise, see the little speck way in the distance? Better start moving, because you need to go there.

Luckily, you have your best friend with you. A horse! This isn’t the first game to have horses, but it’s pretty cool to ride your steed full speed across those wide open fields. Your horse doesn’t mind if you keep kicking him in the side to make him go faster, either. What a pal.


Best of all, you have to fight a number of the “colossus”. They’re monsters. Big monsters. No, I mean really BIG monsters. The one I fought in the demo was a huge monster with a teddy bear head, huge hoofed feet, and a really big club. He stepped on me and squashed me flat before I finally figured out how to beat him.


You have to run to the back of one of his legs, jump on, and climb up his hairy hide all the way to the top of his head. Then you stab him with your sword until he falls down! I can’t say that I’ve ever done that in a video game before. What a hoot!

OK Sony, I’m sold. I’d like to play more of this game just to see what’s next;
...and to fight more big monsters.

No comments: