Thursday, June 29, 2006

IDEA 06 Winners

I was looking through the winning entries from the 2006 Industrial Design Excellence Awards, and here are the ones that caught my eye:

2 Seconds Quechua - This is a tent that you throw up into the air, the thing expands and unfolds, and it turns into a two person tent. Pretty neat. They say that it disassembled and folded back into it's original form in fifteen seconds. I kind of have a hard time believing this; I bet it's just like trying to fold a map back together.

The Hover Creeper - Believe or not, back in the day I used to change my own motor oil, so I know what it's like to crawl underneath a car to get to the oil pan. However, I never had the luxury of having a board with wheels to lie on. The Hover Creeper replaces the traditional rolling board with a board the floats on air. Presumably, this thing never touches the ground. It sounds pretty futuristic, I would want one just to ride around the house.

SanDisk Ultra II SD PLUS - I guess this might be old news for most digital photography enthusiasts, but it's new for me: this memory card has its own USB connector. All you do is fold the card along its hinge and plug it into your computer's USB hub, eliminating the need for any card readers. I can just hear the memory card read industry just crashing down right now.

Water Tile - Have you ever been in a shower, maybe in some strange hotel, your face and hair are all soaped and shampoo'ed up, and then you go and bonk your head on a low hanging shower head? Don't lie - I know you've done it before. I certainly have. Kohler make this handy shower tile which is flush with the other wall tiles. The only problem now is, where will you hang the shower caddy?

Nutty Buddy - The pleas of the desperate have been answered: the Nutty Buddy is a new kind of athletic protection device that "provides never-before-seen levels of comfort while being able to withstand a baseball traveling at more than 100 mph." Oh, bravo I say! Bravo! It also has an extra "tail" that goes between your legs, which is meant to provide you with an extra measure of protection for your frank 'n beans. Best of all, it's just fun to say "nutty buddy".

No comments: