Saturday, June 24, 2006

Countdown to PSP

I lasted about 1 year and 3 months, but I've finally broken down and bought myself a Sony PSP. Hopefully it's on a plane somewhere on its way to me right now. Godspeed, my new little electronic friend.

In the beginning, the PSP reportedly had its share of problems: dead pixels, slow loading times, short battery life, just to name a few. Worst of all, the games they had at the launch weren't really that great. I'm hoping the hardware bugs have been fixed by now; we'll have to see about that. What pushed me into finally getting the PSP is that the games seem to be getting better. Here's a few that have caught my eye:

In September LocoRoco is coming out, a game where you have to steer a little blob of goo through successive levels by tilting the ground and changing the size of your blob by splitting him into little blobs. I've watched some video clips, and this kind of quirky game is right up my alley. What's not to love about a yellow smiling piece of goo?

Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel just came out this month - it's a virtual comic that you read on your PSP, with a lot of animation, music, and sound effects worked into the story. The artwork is by one of my favorite artists, Ashley Wood, whose style meshes perfectly with the look of Metal Gear Solid. It's a cool application for the PSP that hopefully will do justice to both the artwork and story.

Late last year, Sega released Virtua Tennis World Tour for the PSP, which is an updated version of their Virtua Tennis game originally made for the Dreamcast. If you've played this game before, then you will know that Virtua Tennis is simply the best tennis video game ever, on any system. The quick "pick up and play" aspect of this game should translate nicely to the PSP.

Finally, here's a part of a British student project that's been making the rounds on the internet: It's a scarf that can be converted to a hood for using the PSP:


Great if you want some privacy or its too bright to see the screen; not so good for seeing all the people laughing at you, or the guy who's stealing all your stuff.

No comments: