Wednesday, May 03, 2006

No! Not You! Anyone But You!

I'm going to put on my comic book geek hat on now. If you have one of your own, go ahead and put it on too.

One of the things that I like most about comic book covers is the cheesy dialogue. The little spoken word balloons that were used to describe the earth-shattering dangers or the life-chaning drama that was waiting for you inside the comic. Did the dialogue on the cover always deliver in the story? Sometimes. But it always helped sell the comic - the action on the cover told you that you would be making a big mistake if you missed this issue.

The sixties and the seventies were a great time for cover dialogue. Unfortunately, comic book characters stopped talking on comic book covers in the eighties. The trend continues today, where comic covers are mainly illustrations which usually have little to do with the stories contained inside. It's really a shame.

I really love the comic book style of speaking. If you could hear how I think, you'd probably hear me talk to myself in the typical superhero style: "I must do laundry now...or all is lost!" or "Someone will pay for these high gasoline prices...this I swear!"

Today's theme is "no, not you, it can't be you", courtesy of the Fantastic Four:

No comments: