Friday, April 21, 2006

Red Eye

During my bout of illness over the past week, I had a case of conjunctivitis in both my eyes. More commonly known as pink eye, this affliction is very common, but it was the first time for me. My doctor told me I actually had red eye instead of pink eye, and it was the worst case he'd seen all year. Yay for me!

So I was looking for a DVD to watch, and my fiance suggests to me, "why don't you watch Red Eye"?

Red Eye? Brilliant!

If you haven't seen it, Red Eye came out last year and is about Rachel McAdams getting drawn into a plot to assassinate some Homeland Security muckity-muck. She plays a hotel desk clerk who gets pressured into switching the Homeland Security guy's hotel room to where the assassins can do their jobs more easily. Cillian Murphy is the bad guy who holds Rachel McAdams' father hostage and coerces her into helping them. This coercion takes place aboard a late night flight, hence the movie's title.


Overall, it was a decent thriller, but it wasn't particularly nail-biting. If you think too hard about parts of the story, the whole thing seems kind of ridiculous. I kept thinking about Cillian Murphy; he played the bad guy in Batman Begins, and he's a bad guy in this movie. He better not play another bad guy for a long time, or he's going to get typecast. Incidentally, he makes a pretty non-threatening villain. In the Batman movie, at least he had the scary mask going for him. In this movie, Rachel McAdams pretty much kicks his ass, stabbing him with a pen, a high heel, and beating him silly with a hockey stick. Pretty sad.

As far as airplane movies go, this one doesn't lead the pack. You know I'm just waiting for Snakes on a Plane! Yeah! Ssssssssssssssssss!

No comments: