Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So Long, Tower Records

Tower Records is shutting down, and its assets have been sold to a liquidation company (story here) . This bums me out a little bit. When I was in school, I spent a lot of time going to the Tower Records on Durant Avenue in Berkeley and scouring the aisles for records, tapes, and CD's. In those days, I found a lot of great new music beyond whatever was being played on the radio.

I must admit that I am one of the many that contributed to Tower's demise. I haven't stepped inside a record store and bought something for ages, since I buy all my music online. Hey, it's hard to beat cheaper prices, and you get to listen to samples of the albums from the comfort of your own computer. Plus, you never have to wait for the guy who's slowly browsing through the CD's that you want to look at to get out of your way.

However, I still kind of miss going to the store and seeing what's new. Ah well... in Berkeley, at least we still have Rasputin and Amoeba (for now).

No comments: