Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Warriors

The Warriors originally came out in 1979, and I was a too young to see it in the theaters. However, I totally remember the movie because the concept was so cool: a story about battling New York gangs, all with their own names and distinctive looks - it was like a comic book come to life.

Since then, I've always had a soft spot for the The Warriors. I've seen it many times on TV, and it never fails to disappoint. When a video game based on the movie was released late last year, I knew I would play it...eventually.

I've finally played the game, and holy cow, this game was a lot of fun. Usually, video games tied into movies suck because the developers rush to release the game at the same time as the movie. With The Warriors, they clearly took their time to make a great game.

75% of the game is a prequel to the movie, where you learn the origin of the Warriors, and spend a lot of time establishing your turf and your rep. It's a lot like Grand Theft Auto, where you and your gang go around different parts of New York, beating up on other gangs, mugging people, and spraypainting a lot of walls. By the time you get to the actual story in the movie, the game is almost done. It actually works well, because you pretty much know what's going to happen, as long as you can make it to the end.

Baseball Furies! Ack!

This is the kind of game that I want to keep playing until I can't anymore. Usually my vision gets really blurry because I've been staring at the screen too long. You can pick up this game for a measly twenty bucks (in both Xbox and PS2 versions), so it's a great value for some 70's style fun.

Waaaarrrrrriiiorsss, come out to pla-ay!

Turnbull AC's! Aiieeeeeee!

No comments: