Thursday, March 02, 2006

Always Bet On Black...!

My fiance and I went to our local Fry's Electronics the other day, to browse for nothing in particular. When we got there, we discovered that they were having a sale on Black, the new game that just came out for Xbox and PS2. We hurried over to the video game department to pick up a copy of the game (ok, I was the one doing the hurrying).

When we got there, I picked up Black to look at it. There was this guy who saw I was looking at the game, and he says to us: "Did you see the review on the yadda-yadda-yadda show on G4?" (Yadda-yadda-yadda being some show I've never heard of on a cable channel that we don't get)

"No," I said.

"They said that game sacrificed a substantive storyline for action."

"Well, a little action can be good sometimes," I replied.

He looked at me incredulously, and repeated what he said again. At this point, he was beginning to get a little weird, so I smiled politely and proceeded to ignore him. He seemed to be offended that I was still holding the game, and he walked away muttering, "I was just trying to let you know".

Dude, I read the reviews too. Black is supposed to be a really cool first person shooter where every bullet you has an effect on what you shoot at. The sound effects in the game are supposed to be really special too. In other words, lots of things will get shot up and blown up, and you'll kick up a lot of dust doing it. Reportedly, the game doesn't have much of an engrossing storyline to go with the super-special graphics.

You know what? I don't care. I don't really follow the story in a video game too closely, I'm just trying to enjoy myself and get to the end of the game. If the game is fun and entertaining, then right on.

So what have we learned?

1. If a game looks interesting enough to me, then I'd rather try it out myself than blindly follow what someone else says.

2. For a brand new game, I got a good sale price. Excellent!

3. Dude, stay away from me; you're creeping me out.

No comments: